Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Camp Joan - Year 2 - DOUBLE FEATURE (Days 3 and 4) - Legos and Painted Shoes

Sorry I couldn't get this out earlier, but we've done a lot.

Yesterday, we saw Mr. Lego and his Tritiny Church model. There are two main models - there is a replica of Elm Street - which was destroyed (not by me) during the moving from a truck to a library - and the aforementioned Church. The Church was really impressive. It apparently was dismantled and rebuilt 3 times. We took a few pictures and whatnot, which will be posted shortly.



After that, we went to College of Saint Rose, and went to forensics. We used the bunsonburner (is that spelled correctly?) and used a few chemicals that could burn our skin if it made contact. Fortunately, no one got burned and no hair was singed off. I still say it will happen soon.


Today, we went to the Albany Institute of Art and History. We saw mummies, sculptures, paintings et cetera.   I thought it was pretty small and generally unimpressive. But that's just me. After that, we had lunch from various vendors and ate some gelato (Ice cream with less emphasis on the "cream").
At forensics today, we learned about fingerprints. To introduce us to the topic, we bought in shoes and painted the bottom of them. The tread was different for everyone, which is a lot like fingerprints.
We took actual fingerprints, too.  If you wanted me to summarize them, it would be: "Easy on, difficult off." People spent 3 to 5 minutes at the sinks, trying to was the stinkin' liquid off. If you're wondering how our attempt went, let's just say that I'm typing this with black fingers.


We picked up Theo from Siena, stopped at the house, went to the Pig Pit, pigged out (Good Grief, that was a terrible pun. I can't believe I said that. How embarrasing.) and then we went home.


Frank AKA Dad AKA Bugly AKA Uncle Frank AKA Cusion Frank AKA Counsler Frank will be coming up on Friday, noonish. I can't wait to see him.


QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"Hello Mr. Cucumber, Island of the Sea" - Molly, to Theo.

(I don't understand it, either.)

3 comments:

frankp said...

I'm not a counselor, I'm a counselee

Aunt Missy said...

I'm pleased to see the "summer of learning" is continuing! I will expect a full oral report (maybe with a powerpoint presentation) from both of you next week! See you Monday!

betty said...

From the Quote of the Day, I see the word cucumber and sea.
In Japan 1000's of Haiku have been written about the Sea Cucumber. He is hard working and in winter works all night and day. Aloha for HI