Thursday, July 23, 2015

Year 5, Day 7 - Givin' Back

Hello! I posted it before midnight today. Yay for lowered expectations?


Today was technically the "worst" day for classes, at least for me, because I didn't get to host my fictional radio show. I feel like I do a good job hosting. Molly had a thing on the JFK assassination.

Afterwards, we went to the warehouse that held  all the food donated to a multitude of charities across the capital region. Our "boss", Ellie, showed us the ropes and we were off. Basically, about a dozen or so boxes would be wheeled in to the working area. We had to sort through these boxes and see which meats were good and which meats were bad. All of the meats were frozen, so it was basically a complicated game of "spot the rot". Once we distinguished whether or not the meat was good, we separated it into a few different sections - one for beef, one for pork, one for poultry, etc. Then, the packers would come in and put the meats into specified boxes. Once the boxes were full enough (they couldn't weigh more than 45 pounds), they were put on a dolly and moved somewhere into the warehouse.

We did this for about two hours, and we excused ourselves after another 5 people showed up. At this point, there were around 30 people working on that floor and it quickly became reminiscent of a Shaker prayer session.

After work, we went to Stewart's and got milkshakes and dinner. We were both fairly tired afterwards, so drinking a vanilla milkshake was like slurping down a nectar of the gods.

Tomorrow, our last days at camp, will feature no field trips. I promise that I'll record a session of my fictional show.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"Rewr" - Dan

No comments: