Thursday, August 8, 2013

Camp Joan - Year 3 - Day 6 - Jiminy Peak

After our St. Rose classes, we drove to Sara and Jeff's house and met up with them. We crossed the border to Massachusetts to go to Jiminy Peak. It was only a 45 minute drive. Anyways, once we got there, Aunt Joan purchased 8 tickets for the 4 of us who were participating (Molly, Sara, Jeff, and myself) and we went to the coaster.

This is the difficult part to explain.

So, you sat in what was essentially a slimmed down go-kart with two levers on the side. The levers controlled your speed. If you pushed the lever towards the front, you would go faster, and if you pulled it to it's upright position you would brake.

The first time, I used the brakes. Big mistake. But I'd get another two turns to get it right, and the third time I went down without the use of brakes. I'm not kidding when I say this thing gets fast. It gets really, really fast.

After that we went to a bobsled/alpine thing. It was like those little scooters in gym class, but longer and with a lever similar to the aforementioned one. Same control scheme. The first time, I got stuck behind Sara who was stuck behind Molly, who happened to be taking her time. Whatever. The second time I was up there, we raced and Molly won BECAUSE OF A FIVE SECOND HEAD START, MOLLY. STOP TELLING ME IT WAS A FAIR RACE. ( I still won :P - Molly )

But, before that, you had to go on a 5-minute ski lift trip. As someone who had never done any winter sports with the exception of a, oh, one hour tubing stint, it was quite terrifying. But I sat next to Jeff, and we talked about which falls would be fatal and which ones wouldn't, and I devised a theory that I would stick out my left leg which should only break that side of my body rather than both legs.


The final ride we went on was called the Screaming Eagle. It was a ski lift chair, but on a zipline. Once you got on, it zipped you back about, oh, 300 yards and then you completely stop. In mid-air. 100 feet off the ground. In a swaying ski lift. After that, it started up and you were going about 30 mph. But then, when you reach the landing platform, it brings you to a screeching halt and there's a terrifying second when you look down and your chair is about an inch away from the safety netting.

All in all, the Screaming Eagle was the scariest ride.

After that, we went home. Theo and I found some awesome NFL jerseys online - from China. Twenty bucks, Dad!

Also, I got Theo hooked on Canadian Football.


Go Blue Bombers!

Tomorrow, we go see Percy Jackson and The Olympians: Sea of Monsters.

HOPEFULLY it won't suck.

...hopefully.

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"IF I DIE, TELL BRUNO I LOVE HIM!"
"Molly, if you die, I'm probably going to end up dying with you on this ride. There'd be no one to tell anyone anything."
-Molly and Daniel on a terrifying 15 second stop on the Screaming Eagle.

1 comment:

betty said...

Find a way to send the pizza. It sounds delicious!!!
What a great week of Camp Joan. We are envious and want to do everything that you guys have been doing.
Great memories will follow you home. Enjoy and have a great school year. Aloha. Betty and Amelia
PS a few years ago you guys went on the barge on the Erie Canal. I had been dreaming of doing just that since reading your blog. Fortunately, Amelia and I got to take the trip this year. We loved it. Thanks for the detailed, informative blogging. Love it.