Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Camp Joan, Year 4, Day 3 - Power Struggle

When Abe Lincoln was a child, he read by candlelight every night because he wanted to become a lawyer. I can tell you this because every history textbook in America will mention this without fail. I'm part of a new generation that's basically doing the same thing; thinking of what they're gonna write as soon as the stinkin' power comes back on.

Anyway, we woke up at 7:40, ate breakfast, and went on over to St. Rose. In our vet class today, we had a guest speaker come in to talk about rabies and being a veterinarian. Upon completion, Molly and I got in the car and we started our trek towards the Woodstock Animal Sanctuary, surrounded by the Catskills mountains.

Website here: http://woodstocksanctuary.org/

After an 1.5 hour drive, we arrived at the sanctuary, ready to work.



Our task was to pick up the combination of hay and poop and place it in two wheelbarrows. We were given pitchforks as our means of disposal. The job took about an hour and 45 minutes. Highlights include a goat and a sheep headbutting and a baby goat (goatling?) almost getting it's head stuck in the fence post. 

A job well done. After our ride home, I was prepared to have a nice, relaxing night with grilled cheese on cheese bread for dinner, Reese's PB cups for dessert, and watching Iron Man 3 before going to bed. After we got back, we had some thunder and lightning. No big deal, until the lights went out. Yep! No power for about two hours. It came back on a little while ago, though.

Tomorrow, we go to another animal farm. 

QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"I feel like I could fight a goat." - Dan

1 comment:

betty said...

Fight a goat???? Didn't you read what Abe Lincoln had to say about animal rights?
Harry Potter said,
"...I have to fight a goat? I don't think I can do that morally..."
I hope you got your grilled cheese on cheese bread. It sounds like great comfort food after a hay tossing day.
Aloha